If you’re able to easily determine your own retirement date, be thankful that circumstances haven’t led to that date having to change. Also, be aware that determining when to retire isn’t a simple choice. Are you sure you’re emotionally ready? You don’t want to end up regretting retiring earlier, or later, than you should’ve.
Running out of money during your retirement, or not living to see your retirement at all, is a real risk when deciding when to retire.
There are certain questions you should ask yourself in order to determine whether or not you should retire yet:
- Do you still enjoy your job?
- Every sunday night, do you look forward to the following work week, or dread it?
- What exactly do you plan to do after retirement?
- When does your spouse want to retire, and what do they plan to do?
- Have you thought carefully about your financial situation, and what expenses you’ll still have to pay in retirement?
- Are you prepared to cut certain expenses?
- Do you have a source of income you won’t outlive?
There are lots of things to consider before retiring. Schedule a no-obligation meeting with us to learn more, we’re always here to help.